Top 9 Myths Surrounding Epoxy Floor Coatings
Epoxy flooring systems are now popular not just for warehouses and factories but in almost all commercial and industrial applications as well. Surrounding the popularity of epoxy floor coatings are baseless misconceptions and myths.
Myth # 1: Epoxy Flooring Involves a Complicated Installation Process
Truth: The technology involving epoxy flooring installation has drastically evolved through the years. There are modern tools that facilitate the fast installation of epoxy flooring. Professional and experienced epoxy flooring contractors and installers can install epoxy floor coatings with minimal or no downtimes so as not to affect your business operations.
Myth # 2: Paints and Epoxy Coatings Achieve the Same Results
Myth # 3: Epoxy Floor Coatings Need Frequent Replacements
- Truth: While some people say that epoxy floor coatings have a lifespan of at the most 3 years, truth is, epoxy flooring can have a lifespan of up to 20 years. This is of course assuming that it was installed using a high quality epoxy product, the concrete surface properly prepared and epoxy coating properly installed. This is the type of flooring systems commercial and industrial spaces need as frequent replacement of floors will greatly affect their operations.
Myth # 4: Epoxy Floor Coatings are Expensive
- Truth: Epoxy flooring is actually cheaper than many flooring options available in the market. It comes with minimal cleaning and maintenance so you are able to save on man hour costs. It is a durable flooring system so it actually costs only a few pennies per square foot based on your initial investment, the number of years it will last and maintenance costs.
Myth # 5: There is no Need for Prior Work before Epoxy Flooring Installation
- Truth: While epoxy flooring is quick to install, prior work needs to be done to the concrete surface to prepare it for epoxy installation. The concrete surface must be 100% free of dirt, dust, grease, glues, existing sealers and moisture prior to installation to ensure the epoxy material will adhere well to the concrete surface.
Myth # 6: Epoxy is Prone to Peeling
- Truth: Not all epoxy flooring will peel. Peeling will only occur when a low quality product is used, the concrete surface was not properly prepared and epoxy flooring was not properly installed.
Myth # 7: Cracks on the Concrete Surface Can no Longer be repaired
- Truth: Patching materials for concrete can repair or hide cracks in the concrete surface. Before epoxy flooring is installed, repair work should be done on cracks and other imperfections in the concrete surface. When left unrepaired, these cracks and imperfections will cause the epoxy material not to adhere well with the concrete surface.
Myth # 8: All Epoxy Floor Coatings are of the Same Quality
- Truth: While most epoxy flooring contractors use only quality epoxy coating products (many of them work closely with manufacturers), there are some contractors that want a fast buck and use inferior quality epoxy flooring products. When choosing a contractor, go for one that provides a warranty for their job. This is an assurance that they will only use high quality epoxy products. You can also opt to check on the brand of the epoxy flooring product.
Myth # 9: Epoxy Flooring does not come with Many Options
- Truth: This can be true in the past years but today this is just a myth. Many commercial and industrial business owners are now opting for epoxy flooring because of the many available options. Epoxy flooring is available in a wide range of colors, textures and designs. Epoxy flooring can also be customized to suit the needs of your commercial and industrial establishment.
- Knowing the myths and truths about epoxy flooring will make you more confident that you are choosing the best flooring solution for your business. Epoxy floor coatings provide a combination of form and function- aesthetic appeal and durability. Palm Beach Epoxy Pros are here to dispell the myths!
Our team is different. We
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Monday - Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 10am to 4pm